Thursday, March 20, 2008

Where were you when Jessica fell down the well?

". . .I remember very clearly when the whole Baby Jessica thing went down (no pun intended). I was seven years old and it freaked the bejeezus outta me. I didn't understand how the grown-ups in her life could have allowed her to fall down the well. It scared me to think that something like that could HAPPEN in this world....wasn't it the job of grown-ups everywhere to keep children--especially babies--safe?? If something like this could happen to a cute little baby, what could happen to ME???"

- The Milkman's Daughter.

Brooke covers in her post a lot of the initial thoughts and questions I had when I first started my Baby Jessica research.

If anyone else remembers where they were or what they were thinking when Baby Jessica fell down the well, please email me. I'd love to hear it.

2 comments:

Melissa said...

I had a nightmare the night before Jessica fell into the well. I was seven years old and thought that I was too old to wake my parents up over a bad dream, so I snuck into their room and went back to sleep on the floor beside their bed. I knew I would be safe close to my Mom. A friend of my Mom's, who lived in Midland at the time (we lived in Odessa) called that morning to tell Mom to turn on the news. I was so freaked out that someone had let their baby fall down a well. I could not imagine how that little girl would ever be able to feel safe around her parents again. Now that I have children of my own I understand even less. I freak out if one of my kids even steps off a curb without holding my hand and the thought that they let their 18 month old daughter toddle around an open well without having heart failure baffles me. I lost sight of my three year old son for a moment today... and this was the first thing that came to my mind while I frantically searched for him. Good luck with your play (or do you say break a leg for playwrights too?). Anyway, ran across your blog as I was blogging about it today and thought I would share.

Anonymous said...

I remember sitting by the TV with my parents, I was about 3 and a half. We watched the news and I remember seeing them carry Baby Jessica out and then she was wrapped up like a mummy. I was happy that she was out of the well, but I was still confused as to how an 18 month old could move a potted plant AND fall down an 8" wide hole and none of the adults (which were family members no less) saw it. I also remember the outpouring of love and all the donation sites. One local hot dog place in NJ just recently closed, and I had always associated it with the Baby Jessica donations, I guess it really impacted me as a toddler lol.